Emily discusses 50 Shades of Grey, Secretary, and the portrayal of BDSM in the mainstream with Oh Joy Sex Toy creator Erika Moen.
Already love Come As You Are? Rate and review the show in iTunes, even if you don't use iTunes!
Brought to you by
- Cards Against Humanity: contrary to what you hear in this episode's pre-show disclaimer, Cards Against Humanity really wants you to listen to this episode of the show.
Guest: Erika Moen
- Oh Joy Sex Toy is a webcomic and a book (and other merch, physical and electronic)!
- Erika Moen on Twitter
- Emily and Erika will both be at She-Bop in Portland, Oregon on 1 April 2015. The event will be listed here soon.
Emily's Recommended "Actually Good" Romance Authors
- "Hot Hot Kinky Sexytimes": Tiffany Reisz
- "Beautifully Written": Laura Kinsale (especially recommended: the audiobooks)
- "Funny, Sweet, Adorbs": Kristin Higgins
Show Notes and Links
- Secretary (from 2002, starring James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal) is now promoted with the tagline "The Original Mr. Grey" on Amazon: Blu-ray ($7), HD ($8 to buy, $4 to rent)
- Oh Joy Sex Toy comic about 50 Shades of Grey
- Oh Joy Sex Toy post about 50 Shades and Secretary, inspired by this recording
- Emily wrote a series of blog posts as she trudged through 50 Shades of Grey. It begins here, and runs five installments: one/two/three/four/five. Spoiler: part five is titled "why this book is bullshit, and what I intend to do about it".
- The tweet
- Emily will be at Powell's Books in Portland on March 31st. You can pre-order your signed copy of Come As You Are from them (a real, human-run bookstore) in advance if you click on Emily's name in the calendar.
- Rich "Genius", who jokes during intercourse, co-hosts two shows on ESN (Coffee & Cider and Night Moves)