A look at the different paths taken by actors known best for their various voices, featuring the incomparable Tom Kenny (Spongebob Squarepants, Adventure Time) and Charles Martinet (the voice of Nintendo's Mario). There's more to voice acting than just doing "funny voices".
As an exclusive treat, you'll hear the first meeting between SpongeBob and The Ice King and learn the definitive pronunciation of "Mario".
Audio quality note: due to the always-unreliable state of recording conditions at conventions, Charles' audio is not-great, but listenable.
Brought to you by
- Warby Parker: Affordable eyewear with a free 5-day, 5-pair home try-on program. Get free 3-day shipping by using our referral link.
Show Notes and Links
- Moisés previously interviewed renowned Voice Director Andrea Romano on the old Screen Time show here and here (links go to old 5by5 edits, new ones coming this month on ESN).
- Bobcat Goldthwait has gone from comedian and performer to beyond-accomplished indie director. His new documentary Call Me Lucky played Sundance, and has been picking up awards heat. Here's a review from friend-of-the-show Drew McWeeny.
- The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is now availbale in the U.S. on Blu-ray and VOD, and season 5 of Adventure Time hits Blu-ray in just two weeks as of this posting.
- Charles can next be heard performing as Mario in this fall's Super Mario Maker, which brought the house down at the 2015 Nintendo World Championships.
- This episode was originally intended to include audio from a Q&A with Tara Strong, but sadly due to less-than-ideal (even less so than Charles') audio, we just couldn't use it.