Adam Lisagor, Guy English, and John Gruber talk about the blurring lines between marketing and entertainment, the death of "what's on" content, and Jackass' magnum opus. Interview excerpt: Richard Dreyfuss (available uncut as Screen Time 56). (Part 1 of 2)
- Transporter: personal cloud storage that lives in your house. Use offer code ESN75 (through end of March 2014) to get Transporter Sync for $75 at FileTransporter.com
- Igloo: try an intranet that you'll actually like using. It's free for up to ten users, and affordable beyond that. Click here to support the show, and sign up for their free SXSW event on 3/12 from 3:30-6:30pm
- Adam Lisagor (twitter) makes ads that are so engaging and fun that you forget they're ads (because they're engaging and fun).
- Guy English (twitter) should get to seeing Bad Grandpa when he isn't blogging.
- John Gruber (twitter) is Daring Fireball and its commentary track, The Talk Show, as well as 1/3 of Q-Branch, who make Vesper.
- House of Cards is becoming one of the biggest broadcast shows on top of redefining what a "broadcast show" is with ripped-from-headlines subject matter.
- Home Box Office was such a revolutionary idea then that it's weird they still feel shackled to "traditional" cable. Meanwhile, WWE is going the other direction.
- David Lynch on iPhone movie-watching, Kevin Spacey and Johnny Knoxville on The Daily Show.
- The studios used to own the movie theaters.
- Netflix's first "original" series was Lilyhammer, but unlike House of Cards, they didn't greenlight or produce (and therefore own) it.
- Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (trailer) is a much better movie than you may assume. One nutjob on the panel thinks it's one of the best American movies in years.
- Enlisted makes a surprising ratings leap week-over-week thanks to DVR.
- Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is one of our favorite TV shows not on TV.
- Farmed and Dangerous is propaganda designed to be entertaining. The Guardian looks at their decision to go in the direction of ecosystem marketing. Would Super Size Me have worked with a company logo slapped on it (or was that the question Spurlock tried to answer with POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold)?
- Amazon devoured the UK's Lovefilm whole last week and announced a new season of original series Alpha House, even though John Goodman has no idea how to tell people to go watch it, but no one knows how many people actually watched the first one. Gary Trudeau is taking a hiatus from Doonesbury to focus on this.
- Transparent sounds really good.