Howard the Duck co-creator Val Mayerik joins Moisés and Giant Size co-host John Gholson to talk about his past life as an actor, specifically in 1977 grindhouse Z-movie The Demon Lover. They discuss the infamous Demon Lover Diary, Z-movie auteur Donald G Jackson, and making things for the love of making them.
After Giant Size 12 and cross-posted posted as Electric Shadow episode 10, because it ran that long and is that good.
- Val Mayerik co-created Howard the Duck, has trained in martial arts, and co-stars alongside Gunnar Hansen (the original Leatherface) in The Demon Lover (1977)
- John Gholson is a UI/UX designer by day. By night, he co-hosts Giant Size, reviews movies in comic strip form, and muses on comics at Gutters and Panels.
Show Notes and Links
- The Demon Lover and Demon Lover Diary are a hell of a double feature. Listen to this episode before "DLD" and you'll be more apt to notice some of the extremely manipulative techniques used in its making.
- Donald G Jackson gave a final interview shortly before his death.
- I defy you to watch the trailer for The Roller Blade Seven (aka Legend of the Rollerblade 7), starring Scott Shaw, Frank Stallone, Karen Black, and Joe Estevez. You will "Dance! ...For the Devil!"
- Jeff Kreines hasn't really done anything since Demon Lover Diary.
- The Skotak Brothers did loads of effects work for James Cameron's blockbusters, from Aliens and T2 through Titanic.
- It looks like the Skotaks got connected with Cameron while they all worked for Roger Corman on movies like Battle Beyond the Stars (starring Christopher Plummer!) and Galaxy of Terror. Shout! Factory has released amazing special edition Blu-rays of both, but they're both free to stream if you have Amazon Prime.