Ben Blacker is a writer who created both the Nerdist Writers Panel and (co-created) The Thrilling Adventure Hour. He joins Allison and Jeremy to discuss how ahead of its time the show was and how dated Twin Peaks feels in retrospect.
The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer remains a point of contention as the group discusses Episode 11 (12 including The Pilot, or S02E04).
Show Notes and Links
- Ben Blacker (twitter) does so much that he must travel through time and space to get his work done, from Nerdist Writers Panel and The Thrilling Adventure Hour to writing piles of comics (like Thunderbolts for Marvel) and TV series (like Supernatural).
- Todd Holland directed The Wizard, which stars Fred Savage and Jenny Lewis (and which turns 25 this year!). He co-created Wonderfalls and directed loads of other TV in addition to this episode of Twin Peaks.
- Todd Holland also directed S02E13.
- Jerry Stahl's memoir, Permanent Midnight, is a compelling read on its own. The movie starring Ben Stiller was a great early opportunity to see Stiller do something other than full-on comedy.
- Ben mentions that Manhattan creator and writer Sam Shaw was on his latest Nerdist Writers Panel podcast. If you aren't watching WGN's Manhattan yet, you are missing out in a big, big way.
- The Thrilling Adventure Hour does regular live shows at Largo at the Coronet in L.A., as well as on the road. Be a real Adventureketeer and join them live sometime. Be advised: all these shows tend to sell out way in advance.