We discuss the "origin stories" of how John came to love Swamp Thing, Howard the Duck, and The Thing. From movies on cable and Saturday morning cartoons to reprints and recommendations from friends, we get to better know John's tastes and his "human experience" as "this fan, this podcaster."
Brought to you by
- Drobo: use coupon code MOISES at checkout to get $50 off Drobo 5D or 5N.
- IDW: Ghostbusters #20 ends the long, great run we've recommended over the life of the podcast, and Weird Love might be the "Trojan Horse" read that'll get a friend or loved one into trying comics in the first place.
- Extras 12: "Mister Belvedere on a Tablet", the post-show ramblings for this episode.
- (depending on audio quality) Artist Edition: "Steve's Voice", the pre- and post-show Q&A with Val Mayerik from our Giant Size Presents screening of Howard the Duck (1986).
- Electric Shadow 13: "I'll Never Be Venkman", where John and Moisés talk all things Ghostbusters with Eric Vespe.
- Giant Size 14: "With a Magic Word", not-essential listening to "get" this episode, but it dovetails nicely into this week's discussion.
- Swamp Thing: Love and Death (Alan Moore, Stephen Bissette, John Totleben, and Shawn McManus) collects the specific "Orpheus myth" Swamp Thing story that John generally revisits not just yearly, but multiple times a year.
- Swamp Thing (Brian K Vaughn, Roger Peterson, Cliff Chiang) , which focuses on Alec Holland's daughter Tefé, is way better than even the writer thinks it is, according to Moisés. It's collected in two TPB volumes (vol1 and vol2).
- Swamp Thing from the New52 era, written by Scott Snyder and, more recently, Charles Soule, has been one of the best New52 books by a longshot.
- Swamp Thing New52 volumes 1-3 (Snyder and Yanick Paquette) includes the "Rotworld" crossover with Animal Man. (vol1, vol2, vol3)
- The Animal Man (Jeff Lemire, Steve Pugh) "Rotworld" volume 3 TPB is good to grab if you get up to the Swamp Thing New52 volume 3.
- Swamp Thing New52 volumes 4 & 5 (Charles Soule, Kano, Jesús Saiz) is great, and you can jump onto it with volume 4 and not be lost. (vol4, and vol5 is released in December 2014)
- Howard the Duck (Volume 1) comics (all 33 issues) can all be gotten in the Omnibus (reprinted as of October 2014), but they're also all available to Marvel Unlimited subscribers (the Annual is in its own listing) and have also recently become available for purchase at ComiXology for $2 an issue.
- "The Thing"-centric story "This Man...This Monster!" can be found in Fantastic Four #51, which is reprinted and serves as the cover image for Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four Volume 6.
- The Thing: Idol of Millions (Dan Slott) is out of print, but not hard to find.
- The Thing (John Byrne, Mike Carlin, Bob Harras, Ron Wilson) is a two-volume miniseries from the 80's. (vol1, vol2)
- The Thing: Freakshow (Geoff Johns, Scott Kolins) is about 10 years old, out of print, but also not hard to find.
- The Incredible Hulk and The Thing: Marvel Graphic Novel #29 (Jim Starlin and Bernie Wrightson) is one of those original Marvel Graphic Novels, out of print, but generally not hard to find.