Kelly Sue DeConnick has a massive, loyal, and deeply passionate following for a very good reason: she makes comics that mean something to people. In this Creator Spotlight episode, we discuss her body of work, and the distinct humanity of her voice as a writer.
This episode features excerpts from a previously recorded interview with DeConnick. Kelly Sue portrait art by the amazing Christian Ward.
Brought to you by
- Comic Bento: The original graphic novel subscription box service. Get $5 off your first month by using GIANTSIZE at checkout.
- Osborn: Evil Incarcerated by DeConnick, Ellis, and Ríos
- Planetary by Ellis & Cassaday, is Kelly Sue's go-to "I love this" reading recommendation.
- Supergirl (2005) #65, 66, 67 by DeConnick & ChrisCross & Deering
- Captain Marvel: The Enemy Within by DeConnick, Buffagni, Hepburn, and Andrade
- The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight by Martha Ackmann
- Ghost Vol.1: In the Smoke and Din by DeConnick & Noto
- Captain Marvel (2013) Vol.1: In Pursuit of Flight by DeConnick, Soy, Ríos
- Captain Marvel (2013) Vol.2: Down by DeConnick, Sebela, Soy, Andrade
- Captain Marvel (2014) Vol.1: Higher, Further, Faster, More by DeConnick & Lopez
- Captain Marvel (2014) Vol.2: Stay Fly by DeConnick, Lopez, Takara
- Captain Marvel (2014) Vol.3: Alis Volat Propriis
- The best way to support Pretty Deadly (or any creator-owned book) is by buying it in single issues, ideally at a Local Comic Shop. The week this episode is released, you can pick up the new-this-week issue #8 of Pretty Deadly as well as the #1 issue of Mirror, co-created by Kelly Sue's PD collaborator Emma Ríos and Hwei Lim.
- Pretty Deadly Vol.1: The Shrike by DeConnick, Ríos, Bellaire, Cowles
- Pretty Deadly Vol.2: The Bear by DeConnick, Ríos, Bellaire, Cowles
- The films of Alejandro Jodorowsky are worth getting weird with, especially El Topo (1970).
- Bitch Planet Vol.1: Extraordinary Machine by DeConnick, De Landro, Wilson IV, Peter, and Cowles
- Kelly Sue is working on another creator-owned project called Parisian White with the great Bill Sienkiewicz that we can't wait to learn more about.