Modern TV has melded the old-school “chapter play” format with modern, lower-cost (and at once higher quality) production methods. The result is episodic content that is more than giving feature-length movies a run for their money. Erika Ensign (Verity, Lazy Doctor Who) joins Strax the Sontarran himself Dan Starkey to reveal how Doctor Who is succeeding where multimillion-dollar franchise features are hit-and-miss.
Brought to you by
- SaneBox: Stop letting your email eat you alive. Do the 2-week free trial and get $25 off your new membership when you sign up by visiting SaneBox.com/esn.
- Erika Ensign is on the Verity and Lazy Doctor Who podcasts, and you can find her on Twitter
- Dan Starkey is also on Twitter, as well as IMDb. He wrote and appears in Big Finish radio drama Terror of the Sontarans (available now on Amazon).
Show Notes and Links
- Serial film
- Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe was one of the foundational serial influences on the original Star Wars
- Doctor Who
- Remembrance of the Daleks
- Peter Capaldi won a 1995 Academy Award for Best Short Film (Franz Kafka’s It’s a Wonderful Life)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Ant-Man (2015) Blu-ray on Amazon
- Toy Story That Time Forgot (2014) Blu-ray on Amazon