"Batman (Without Batman)" comics, especially Gotham Central and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, the brand-new Gotham Academy and Arkham Manor, as well as great collected series from the last two decades and a light primer on the work of Ed Brubaker.
Brought to you by
- IDW Publishing: Check out Ripley's Believe It or Not!: The Classic Cartoons and Wonder Woman: The Classic Cartoons.
- Ed Brubaker (comic book db/twitter/wikipedia) Did some of the most-acclaimed writing of the last ten years at The Big Two before recently signing five-year exclusivity with Image. His co-creation of The Winter Soldier and massive run on Captain America were covered lovingly on the longest episode of Giant Size that'll ever exist.
- David Loehr is playwright-in-residence at Riverrun Theatre, radio playwright-in-residence for The Incomparable, and is @dloehr
Ed Brubaker Checklist
- Gotham Central (Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka, Michael Lark) is what we spend most of the episode discussing. (TPB Books 1/2/3/4;ComiXology)
- Velvet (one TPB so far)
- Fatale (almost complete)
- Criminal (new TPB from Image in January 2015)
- Sleeper (Omnibus is the best way)
- The Fade Out (newly-released and great)
- Catwoman by Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke is magnificent. (TPB 1/2/3; ComiXology)
- 87th Precinct by Ed McBain
- Batman: GCPD was a sort of precursor to Gotham Central. It's an OOP 4-issue miniseries, but is not hard to find.
- Maggie Sawyer debuted in Metropolis Special Crimes Unit (an OOP 4-issue miniseries)
- Powers by Bendis/Oeming is great, and at long last making it to TV (Hardcover/TPB; ComiXology).
- Batman: Court of Owls by Snyder/Capullo is a bright spot in the New52, no matter how you slice it (TPB; ComiXology).
- Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law is one of the best things to come out of Adult Swim.
- Arkham Asylum: Living Hell by Dan Slott and Ryan Sook is a true trip into the heart of darkness (TPB).
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is John's favorite movie. It still holds up.
- Dynamite's Flash Gordon series written by Jeff Parker is a big favorite of both John and David (ComiXology).
- Kurt Busiek revived Astro City in 2013.
- Stray Bullets Killers (David Lapham) might be JOhn's favorite comic of 2014.
- John Allison does Bad Machinery, which has started its process of release in TPB form from Oni Press (TPB 1,2, pre-order 3).
- Gotham Academy and Arkham Manor both just began. Give them both a shot and buy the issues if you want them to succeed.
- Batgirl #35 marks the shift to a new creative team and the magnificent art of Babs Tarr. You can start here having read nothing.
- Robin by Chuck Dixon includes some great work, like A Hero Reborn, Robin: Year One, and Batgirl and Robin: Year One.
- Birds of Prey by Gail Simone is a can't-go-wrong pick. (TPB 1/2/3; ComiXology)
- Teen Titans Spotlight #13 features Cyborg and Two-Face.