Marvel announced their movie slate through 2019, and it's full of characters that you may not know very well. John and Moisés blow through a ton of rapid-fire reading recommendations to the extent we can predict (or not) what parts of comic lore the movies will use. We've got five years of reading ahead of us, so pace yourself.
Brought to you by
- IDW Publishing: Edward Scissorhands (written by Kate Leth) and TMNT/Ghostbusters are both selling good and fast. Check them both out.
- Artist Edition 2: Punch Holes in the Sky (Kelly Sue DeConnick) is one of many vintage "Volume 1" Giant Size interviews that are finally making their way into the Artist Edition feed.
- Extras 18: post-show musings and idle speculation full of spoilers for Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet.
- Giant Size Origins 4: Taste the Hulk Rainbow was the first full episode of the show that you now know as Giant Size that John and Moisés did together.
The vast majority of the below recommendations are available on Marvel Unlimited, amazingly enough, with the exception of some of the more recent releases. We're working on an affiliate program with them, so try the trial for now and check back soon if you'd like to support the show.
Captain America (and Iron Man and Black Panther): Civil War
- Society of Serpents aka "Serpent Society" (Carlin, Gruenwald: Captain America vol.1 #302-317) (TPB) was a fake-out by Marvel at the event, but longtime Marvel fans actually got excited about this fan-favorite run.
- The House That Dripped...Dough? (Captain America vol. 1 #395) is our new running joke. We're so, so sorry.
- Civil War (various) is a massive, universe-wide crossover that is extremely new-reader-friendly. The core TPB the Iron Man: Civil War TPB and the Black Panther: Civil War TPB are probably the most directly applicable here, but it's worth digging into the entire thing. The Omnibus is out of print.
Doctor Strange (full episode coming soon)
- Into the Dark Dimension (Roger Stern, Paul Smith) (TPB) is a solid, go-to Doctor Strange story that has historically been one of if not the most-reprinted Strange story.
- The Oath (Brian K Vaughn, Marcos Martin) (TPB) is written by "that guy who writes Saga, so there.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
- Marvel NOW!: Guardians of the Galaxy (Bendis, Pichelli) (TPB Vol.1, TPB Vol.2, TPB Vol.3)
- Legendary Star-Lord (collected February 2015)
- Rocket Raccoon (collected February 2015)
- Rocket Raccoon & Groot (TPB) collects a great cross-section of Rocket & Groot stories.
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2008, Abnett/Lanning) (TPB Vol.1, TPB Vol.2 collect their entire run)
- Marvel NOW!: Thor God of Thunder (Vol.1 Hardcover includes #1-11) represents not only some of Jason Aaron's best work, but some of the best Thor comics out there.
- The Mighty Thor "Ragnarok" by Walt Simonson (TPB Vol.1, TPB Vol.2) and is the "Surtur" story we assume plays some part in what they're planning here.
- Marvel Knights: Black Panther (Priest/Texeira) [MU] is out of print (all five years worth is on Marvel Unlimited), but really the run that broke though to the mainstream more than any before it.
- Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther run (starting with "Who Is The Black Panther?" TPB) is the other modern run that's gone multiple volumes. Three years in, someone else takes up the mantle of Black Panther.
- Marvel NOW!: New Avengers (Hickman) (TPB Vol.1)
Avengers: Infinity War I & II
- Infinity Gauntlet (Jim Starlin, George Perez, Ron Lim) (TPB, Omnibus) is the only thing, this far out, that we can recommend someone read, having no clue what the movie is really going to include or use
- Infinity Gauntlet Aftermath (various) (TPB) is a good add-on to the main series, and might have something to do with what the Guardians and/or another "cosmic" movie might have to do after 2019
- Infinity War (Starlin/Lim) (TPB) is almost certainly not what the movies are going to be based on, but who knows.
- Here's what looks stupid about Captain Marvel Vol.1: In Pursuit of Flight by Kelly Sue DeConnick (TPB) on Amazon at the moment: due to the movie announcement, a bunch of jackals are scalping it for stupid amount because Amazon is out of stock. Visit your friendly local comic shop and grab it.
- Captain Marvel Vol.2: Down (TPB) continues Kelly Sue's first long arc on Carol Danvers. You can buy the cover art as a shirt.
- Avengers: The Enemy Within (TPB) finishes the first long Captain Marvel story told by Kelly Sue DeConnick
- Captain Marvel: Higher, Further, Faster, More (TPB) follows all of those, re-starting issue numbering at #1. Carol Danvers goes into space.
- John also recommends stories about Carol when she was "Warbird" in the pages of Avengers by Busiek & Perez. We'll dig into this more when we circle back for an all-Danvers episode.
- Marvel Knights: The Inhumans (Paul Jenkins, Jae Lee) (Hardcover) is the defining modern take on the characters and came out in the late 90's.
- Inhuman Vol.1: Genesis (TPB)collects the first six issues of Charles Soule's new series
- Fantastic Four/Inhumans (TPB)
- The Origin of the Inhumans (Lee/Kirby) (TPB) collects all the best scattered "vintage" Inhumans stuff.
- The Volume 1 Masterworks that collects their solo series is currently OOP, but should be reprinted in softcover soon, one would assume. The Volume 2 Masterworks is readily available.